المساعد الشخصي الرقمي

مشاهدة النسخة كاملة : 2nd Year Foreign ******** Exam

salima
11-05-2013, بتوقيت غرينيتش 03:19 AM
hello dear fellow teachers of english! here is a subject I submitted to my pupils. I would be grateful to any one who can bring any fruitful comment on the exam sheet in all aspects. thank you. do not hesitate to sya what your thoughts are. I'll accept them warmheartedly.

Elaborated by a colleague of yours from Bejaia, Mr. Djermoune H.

Tichy high school Stream: Foreign ********s Academic Year: 2014/ English First Term Exam
Duration: Two Hours Read the text carefully then do the activities

Martin Luther King is a black American. His father was the minister of a leading black church in Atlanta, Georgia. Martin Luther King was fairly well off. Young Martin did not know poverty as a boy, but he knew the personal meaning of segregation. After being graduated at Morehouse College in Atlanta, he continued his studies in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. He felt it was his duty to do something to end segregation and poverty too.
In the 1950’s and 1960’s, he became the best known civil-rights leader in the U.S.A. He was arrested 29 times for protesting against the unfair treatment of his people. Though the harsh treatment, he believed in love and non-violence. King drew his ideas form Mahatma Gandhi who had led India’s struggle for independence in the 1930’s and 1940’s.
The year 1963 was a special one for black Americans. It was the 100th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. The first end toward ending slavery. Yet, 100 years after freedom, black people still suffered from segregation and injustices. On August 28th, 193, the March on Washington took place. 250,000 people wound around the reflecting pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Martin Luther King spoke of how black people had carried in their hearts the hope of full equality. “Now was the time,” he said, “for America to fulfil the promise of democracy.” “I have a dream,” he added, “that the black children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the ******* of their character.”
A year after, King was awarded a high honour, the Nobel Prize, for his civil-rights work. In 1968, King broadened his concern. He organised a ‘Poor People Campaign’ to attack poverty. On April 4th, King was killed. After his murder, some people said that love and forgiveness were useless against hatred. But others remembered his dream. For them, the fulfilment of that dream remained as the work of all Americans.

Section One: A/ Comprehension & Interpretation ( 08 points )
1.Circle a, b or c that best completes A, B, & C. ( 03 points)
A.The text is a.......................... a) report b) biography c) story
B.The text is ............................ a) descriptive b) narrative c) argumentative
C.The writer tells us about..... a) his education b) family life c) achievements
2.Choose a title to the text. ( 03 points )
a)King’s struggle for Presidency
b)King’s Fight against Segregation
c)I have a Dream
3.In which paragraph are the following mentioned? ( 03 points )
vSlavery was abolished in 1883. § 03
vKing was also fighting for poor people. § 04
vKing was influenced by a great man of peace. § 02
4.Are the following statements true or false? Correct the false ones. (06points)
ØKing’s father was a respected member in the U.S. government. False
ØHe was put in jail several times for violence and hatred towards Whites. False
Ø1963 marked the hundredth anniversary of the abolition of segregation and racism. False
ØKing tirelessly campaigned against equality, justice, freedom and poverty. False
5.What/ who do the underlined words refer to in the text?(03points )

vWho======== Ghandi
vIt ========== the year 1963
vThey====== black children
vOthers===== people

6.Find in the text words whose definitions follow. (03points)
vThe act of keeping one group of people apart from another and treat them differently § 1= Segregation
vAn event in which a large number of people walk through a public place to express their support for something, or their disagreement with or disapproval of something §3 = March
vthe belief in freedom and equality between people, or a system of government based on this belief, in which power is either held by elected representatives or directly by the people themselves § 3= Democracy
7. According to the text, which of these adjectives best describe Martin Luther King? (03points)

vRacist
vRespectable
vThoughtful
vPeaceful
vAggressive
vPoor
vHopeless
vHard-working

B/ Text Exploration (07 points) 21 points
A.Identify the meaning of the words as they are used in the text. ( 03 points )
ØWell-off= ... a) comfortable b) prosperous c) easy d) poor
ØKnown = a) celebrated b) experienced c) famous d) unpopular
ØHope= a) promise b) desire c) trust d) despair
ØAttack= a) show violence to b) hit c) harass d) deal with

B.Which adjectives can you derive from the following words? (03 points)

Words

Adjectives

Poverty

a. Poor
b. Freedom
b. free
c. Peace
c. peaceful/peaceable
d. War
d. warlike

C.Complete the following sentences with ‘Used to, didn’t use to or never used to’. (03 points)
1.Black people never used to vote (Voted) in election. Now they can.
2.Malcolm X used to favour (favoured) violence whereas King was the complete opposite.
3.King used to preach (preached) non-violence and peace.
D.Connect the pairs of sentences using appropriate link words from the list. (04 points )

·Who
·Unlike
·Whereas
·As a result
·Because
·In order to

1.Malcolm X believed in violence and hatred. King was a fervent defender of peace and love.
·Unlike Malcolm X who believed in hatred and violence, King was a fervent defender of peace and love.
2.King fought tirelessly for the rights and freedoms of the blacks. He wanted them to live free and equal.
·King fought tirelessly for the rights and freedoms of the blacks in order for them to live free and equal.
3.Mahatma Ghandi struggled for independence peacefully. Ghandi had great influence on King.
·Mahatma Ghandi, who struggled for independence peacefully, had great influence on King.
E.Rewrite the sentences below using an appropriate modal. (04 points)
a.Blacks were not allowed to use the same toilets as the Whites.
§ Blacks couldn’tuse the toilets as the whites.
b.The Blacks had the obligation to leave their bus seat for the whites.
§The Blacks had to leave their seat for the whites.
c.King believed that it was not necessary for Malcolm X to use violence.
§Malcolm X needn’t have used violence.
d.King blamed those Blacks who were using violence against the Whites.
§You shouldn’t have used violence against the whites.
F.Complete what A says in the following conversation (04 points)
Alice: Hi Mary, how are you? Mary: I am fine. Thank you. How about you
Alice: So so ..........................? Mary: Tim? He must be in the library working.
Alice: .................................... Mary: I guess he has an important project to prepare.
Alice ..................................... Mary I believe it is about peace in the world.
Alice: ..................................... Mary: No, I must go home now.
Section Two: Written Expression; Choose only One topic (15 points)
Topic One: Write a letter to the General Secretary? Ban Ki Moon in which you describe the state of the world
and ask him to do something to help the refugees, the sick, the poor, the enslaved and the hungry
people to get their freedoms and rights.
Topic Two: Imagine you are chosen by your mates to represent them in the meeting with the administration.
Write the speech that you are going to deliver stating
· The rights and the freedoms that pupils should have in your school.
·The duties and responsibilities of the administration towards pupils.
·Suggest ideas for the well-being of the pupils.

P.S: Write your comments and send them to me.http://www.dzbatna.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482113_236967293114455_1193518507_n.png (http://www.dzbatna.com)
©المشاركات المنشورة تعبر عن وجهة نظر صاحبها فقط، ولا تُعبّر بأي شكل من الأشكال عن وجهة نظر إدارة المنتدى (http://www.dzbatna.com)©

استعمل مربع البحث في الاسفل لمزيد من المواضيع

سريع للبحث عن مواضيع في المنتدى